Are you going on a safari for the first time soon? Or are you gathering information about a holiday in Africa? Make sure you don’t forget to bring the items from this packing list. After all, good preparation is half the battle.
If you do not want to read, or just get a bit more information, you can also watch the videos.
Clothing & accessories
Practical, comfortable, airy clothing and sturdy walking shoes are a must for any safari. In any case, bring the following clothing:
- Long trousers or zip-off pants (it can cool down a lot in the evening!)
- T-shirts with long sleeves
- (Fleece) vest or sweater
- Sturdy walking shoes
- Open shoes and / or sandals
- Swimwear and slippers
And don’t forget the following accessories:
- Hat or cap
- Waist Bag (To grab some cash or commonly used items quickly)
Tip: Becoming part of the bush and enjoying nature is more important during a safari than walking in fashion. Therefore, mainly bring clothing in protective colors. Green, beige and brown. So no bright colors: they deter wild animals and attract insects.
On the plane you are (most likely) allowed to bring carry-on and checked baggage. We recommend the following items.
- Backpack as carry-on luggage
- Backpack or duffel bag as checked baggage
Tip: Because you travel a lot, we advise you to travel light. Furthermore, a suitcase with wheels is not useful in the bush.
As with any trip, you will need to arrange and bring the necessary documentation. Think of the following travel documents:
- Airline tickets
- Vaccination booklet
- Insurance card and documents
- Extract Birth register of accompanying minor children (international version)
- Route and travel program
- Emergency telephone numbers
- Doctor’s statement (in case of special medication)
- Addresses and correspondence with local campsites / service providers
- Copies of all the aforementioned documentation
It is always smart to prepare your finances well when you travel. Especially with a safari on a different continent. Some things to consider:
- Dollars (Large denominations to exchange and small denominations to pay with cash. Unfortunately, your euros are of little use to you in Africa)
- Credit card and bank card (Don’t forget to set your settings to worldwide in advance)
Tip: Take a second wallet with you (or put some money in your waist bag) so that you don’t always have to take out all your money when you want to pay something small.
The weather and climate during a safari can be quite different from what you are used to in the Europe and the US. And you notice that! Therefore always take the following items with you:
- Sunblock (High factor!)
- Hand lotion
- Lip balm
- Sufficient eyeglasses
During a safari you can suffer (more) from insects. It can also be a bit more difficult to get medicines for which you quickly visit a drugstore in your home country. Therefore, do not forget the medicines below.
- Mosquito repellent
- Anti-itch cream (In case of insect bites)
- Anti-bacterial hand cream
- Malaria tablets
- First aid kit (Probably included in the rental car)
- Regular medications: aspirin, acetaminophen, stomach tablets, etc.
Consider the following tools to reduce discomfort and / or make the safari even more adventurous!
- Pocket knife
- Alarm clock
- Flashlight and headlamp
- Mobile phone (and charger)
- Satellite phone (and charger)
- (Video) camera (and charger)
- Travel plug and adapter
- Extra batteries and memory cards
- Tablet (For entertainment (books and games), to consult travel information digitally and to view photos and videos directly)
As you can see, there are quite a few items to keep in mind when you go on safari! With the packing list from this article you will go a long way. And are you booking a holiday at Khokelo Safaris? Then you will receive a complete overview from us to take with you and to take into account.